Tuesday 23 September 2014

Virgin media delivering and failing on the key factors of customer experience

The most important factors for good customer experience in the B2C market are 

1. Helpfulness
2. Value for time 
3. Customer recognition 

Virgin media (www.virginmedia.com) recently succeeded on all these dimensions only to immediately fail in the next step. They wrote to me highlighting my media pack could be improved and they provided a number to call and discuss. Just a fishing exercise?  Not in this instance. Speaking to the helpful adviser they informed me I qualified for an upgrade in broadband speed. Wonderful!  Recognising me as a customer and making it super easy as you understand my time is valuable. All round 5 stars for Virgin media.  

But what if you push this further and present them a new opportunity?  For Virgin media they unfortunately immediately failed and lost this customer engagement positive impression. When asking if there were deals on mobile phones that I could extend onto my contract they were stumped. The adviser couldn't help and passed me onto another department. Not a surprise in fairness but connecting me to the wrong team who don't have any details pays no respect to my value for time. Sticking with it still keen to build on that earlier positive experience you are then bounced to another adviser who asks to do a credit check rather than provide any advise, recognising me as a customer?  Not even nearly. Opportunity lost to potentially double my contract with the company. Sales and service need to both meet the customer experience factors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment